by Joshua Heston
Barns are special places. Full haymows, cattle, chickens, dogs & cats. Old barns were built with care, a testimony to function, craftsmanship, & beauty. Little wonder they hold a special place in our hearts.
July 22, 2010
- The night was coming very fast; It reached the gate as I ran past.
- The pigeons had gone to the tower of the church And all the hens were on their perch
- Scarce heard amid the guns below.
- Up in the barn, and I thought I heard A piece of a little purring word.
- I stopped inside, waiting and staying, Trying to hear what the hens were saying.
- They were asking something, that was plain, Asking it over and over again.
- One of them moved and turned around, Her feathers made a ruffled sound,
- A ruffled sound, like a bushful of birds, And she said her little asking words.
- She pushed her head close under her wing, But nothing answered anything.
— Elizabeth Madox Roberts